A Neck Lift performed either alone or in conjunction with a Face Lift removes excess skin and fatty tissue to restore a smooth, more refine appearance to the neck.
Neck lift surgery is not just for those of a mature age but can be for anyone that is bothered by how their neck looks to themselves and the outside world. The neck can begin to show age faster than the whole face; people develop loose skin under the chin, vertical bands in the neck “turkey wattles” or necks that are too heavy. For these individuals, a Neck Lift, either alone or combined with other cosmetic procedures can correct these problems.
The neck lift procedure is designed to create a more youthful appearance of the neck with better contour and produces very gratifying results.
Different techniques are used to address each of these conditions:
- Sagging skin may be tightened or removed using a procedure called Cervicoplasty is performed
- A technique called Platysmaplasty is used to tighten the muscles of the neck, to correct vertical bands or wattles,
- Localised fat deposits can be removed directly or by liposuction.
The Neck Lift Consultation
The consultation with your plastic surgeon is the first step to communicating your feelings about what you want to achieve and how a neck lift can enhance and rejuvenate your appearance. The purpose of the consultation is to bring focus and clarity to the concerns that you have regarding the appearance of your neck, but also to establish realistic expectations and a clear sense of direction for your change. Bringing a photograph of yourself from the time when you thought you looked your best will help in the discussion.
During the consultation, you will be asked some questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
Be prepared to discuss
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcomes
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
Your surgeon will also
- Evaluate your general health status, ask about any previous facial surgery, and any pre-existing health conditions or risks factors
- Take photographs for your medical records
- Discuss your goals for the procedure and explain what results you can reasonably expect.
- Discuss any risks or potential complications and what to expect during your recovery.
- Consider the use of anaesthesia during your surgery
Neck Lift Surgery
- If you have vertical bands or “turkey wattles” that need to be addressed, a procedure called platysmaplasty will be performed. Small incisions under your chin or behind your ears are made to reach your neck muscles and reposition them as needed.
- If your circumstances require the correction of loose and sagging skin, your surgeon will perform a procedure known as a cervicoplasty. Similar incisions to the platysmaplasty procedure will be made, the excess or sagging skin will be trimmed away, repositioned and secure it using stitches or tissue glue. You may be fitted with a compression bandage and instructed by your surgeon to wear it continuously for at least a week.
- If removal of excess fat is required, liposuction may be used to remove the fat. Liposuction a process whereby fat is vacuumed away through thin cannulas. If performed alone the procedure should take an hour or less. For a more extensive contouring, even in the presence of excess fatty tissue, reduction of the fat tissue is accomplished through an incision under the chin.
Neck lift surgery typically takes between two and three hours.
Are There Limitations With A Neck Lift?
Yes. The quality of the result will depend upon the elasticity of the neck skin and degree of sun damage to the area. Naturally, it is important to have realistic expectations, but fortunately, current techniques allow for an elaborate and detailed restitution of a youthful contouring the neck, that can benefit patients with a variety of problems.
Most patients are pleased with the outcome and find they gain a feeling of increased self-confidence especially when wearing more revealing clothes. The overall achievement will be an entirely natural look that gives the impression you have lost weight and look younger.
It is important to note that a Neck Lift deals only with the neck. Patients looking to address facial concerns such as lines, wrinkles, grooves and sagging skin need to discuss these with the surgeon. Options such as a facelift, eyelid surgery, dermal abrasion, Botox and fillers can reduce these signs of ageing and turn back the clock. Each case is unique, and in line with your desires, your surgeon will develop a treatment plan best suited to your needs and physical properties.